The stone chapel in Raiza
Every proper village has an inn and a church. The one to strengthen the body, the other to refresh the soul. It was no different in Raiza with Tyssa . The tavern was only a few meters from the border and had the number 1. Together with the mill, it was one of the oldest buildings in the village. We already find them around 1600 in Oeder’s card. 1 In the first half of the 20th century, there was a barn, a summer veranda and, on the other side of the road, a smithy next to the actual spacious Schanke 2 building . Below the tavern was a well-kept vegetable and fruit garden with fine apples.
There was no church in Raiza – the village was cemented to Tyssa – but a small stone chapel was not far from the tavern. The chapel is also of ancient origin. She (or her predecessor) already had her place on historical maps of the 18th century. The emergence of these cards, or rather plans, we owe the more than 300 years of ongoing dispute over the border with Saxony in the direction of Eiland. In 1797 he was terminated by a settlement. 3 The then fixed limit also had to be measured. On this occasion, two plans were made (1797 and 1799), in which our chapel is registered and surrounded by four trees. 4 By 1945, took care of the equipment and care of the chapel family Paul , who lived above the chapel.
After the Second World War, the Raiza population was driven out of their homeland. In 1945, the barn burned down and soon the taverns and the other houses close to the border of Raiza were destroyed. The fields and meadows crumbled, the orchards ran wild. Only two old linden trees that stood in front of the tavern, shaded the verandah, and under which the bird shooting took place, remained intact. For years, they grew into giants and in 1998 they were placed under protection. 5
Not all buildings in this lonely corner were destroyed. As in the fairy tale of the seven little kids, a single one was spared – the old stone chapel. She survived in a bleak condition, but she was still there. The glazed chapel niches was robbed of the image of Mary and the grating disappeared. There was no sign of the wooden roof. Shrubs and stinging nettles proliferated on the chapel gable instead. In front of the robbed ruin, after the last war, there was a still recognizable field strip and a barbed wire fence, which fenced the Czechoslovak state. After dissolution of this exclusion zone around 1967, the environment of the chapel lost its military ambience. The border guards with machine guns have been replaced by cattle, for which a potion was placed by the farmers in front of the baroque chapel. Then the cows disappeared and the chapel orphaned ….
To make our history come to a good end, the municipal office in Tyssa, together with the management of the Protected Landscape Area in Tetschen , began refurbishing the chapel in 2001. 6 She will be the only witness to persist for centuries at this critical angle. Despite all the calamities of the past and as a message for the future.
1. The first state survey of the state of Saxony, on the orders of the Elector Christian I. carried out by Matthias Oeder (1586-1607). State Archives
2. In the bar building was next to the dining room, kitchen, utility room, stable also a dance hall and an extension with stage and towing roof available.
The tavern belonged to the Settmachers , whose family members died in the Second World War, or were shot in Raiza at the end of 1945 (According to old recordings and oral communications by Gerhard Hahnel , Bad Gottleuba, Badstrasse 1, formerly Raiza No. 45)
3. PF Focke: From the oldest history of German Bohemia , Volume 2, pp. 222-229, Königswald 1879. The term Streitwald has survived until modern times.
4. ‘Mappa of that at the count’s reign Tetschen Leitmeritzer circle between the crown and Böheim Chur-Saxony meyssnischem circle
on the Landesgränze dispute has been, nachgehends of mutual gentlemen commissioners compared, and in 1799 ausgemarckten
elderly, and Neuenheimer little war wood. ” Also in the other map of the war wood from 1797 the “Capelle” is registered in the village Raiza .
5. These are two exceptionally well developed centenarian linden trees, which are protected under the Nature Conservation Act No. 114/1992, § 46.
The trees stand on the plots No. 2243/3 and 320/1 of the cadastral Tyssa . The age of the larger, about 20 m high linden, is estimated to be
about 300 years, its circumference is 5.4 m. After this “Schänkerlinde” the inn was also called “Zur Linde.”
6. The most important masonry works were already carried out in the autumn of 2001. One of the rotten lime trees had to be felled on this occasion.
Excerpt from Karl Stein, corridor monuments of our homeland: rambles in the Lusatian Mountains and in the Bohemian Switzerland, Netherlands-Verlag, Backnang.