With the stagecoach from Prague via Peterswald to Dresden
In 1755 Austria introduced the personal mail. Thus, in Bohemia, the postilion with the coat of arms of the country conquered a new sphere of activity on his service clothing. Until then, the “brother-in-law” mainly transported mail with his stagecoach.
The transport of persons faced many obstacles. Above all, the nature of the roads hindered the desire for a quick and pleasant journey. In addition there were long waiting times for repairs, as well as the fear of armed overfalls. Unfavorable weather conditions made driving with the stagecoach not a pleasure. But despite all reservations, the k. and k. Postal Administration in Passenger Transportation Significant Progress.
As early as 1752, Bohemia and Saxony had contractually agreed that one post each of them would leave each week from Prague and Dresden. “In 1754, both states established a second carriage post each week in each direction, which in the following years – now as a future-oriented one The road led from Prague via Budin and Lobositz to Aussig, then on the so-called Salt Road (Dresdner Straße) via Postitz and Troschig to the border station Peterswald and from here via Pirna to Dresden (and back).
A necessary expansion of the route network initially prevented the Seven Years War (1756-63). But also in the following years, initially only a little moved in questions road construction. The unstable track from Aussig to Peterswald – of pathetic quality, as contemporaries estimated – triggered a constant criticism. The complaints swelled, as from 1777 Bohemia and Saxony diligences (lightweight stage coaches, modern express and extra costs) used to improve the ride comfort and to increase the cruising speed. Due to low costs, the main shortcomings of the route could be eliminated, but the Magistrate of Aussig refused to contribute financially to repair the road – even within its own urban area.
Since further negotiations led to no result, the state government of Bohemia, the Poststrasse, bypassing Aussig from Prague on Laun and Teplitz decided to PeterswaldAmong other things, to develop the road from Teplitz to the state border. Aussig was to be connected to the new route by a feeder road via Türmitz. The municipality of Aussig, however, rejected this plan and tried to make well-founded submissions and a pardon to the Emperor to restore the old state. She did not succeed. A decisive reason for this may be found in the fact that Aussig was then an insignificant country town and by no means the busy and weighty industrial city as it has been preserved in our memory. So the place still counted only 1860 inhabitants in 1830, in comparison to Peterswald had 2240 inhabitants in the same year.
In 1805, the extension of the Teplitz-Arbesau- Peterswald connection was essentially completed, the Kaiserstraße, as the vernacular called it, and the passenger and postal traffic could be included on the new route. But the salt road lost its rank and importance. However, the new route did not bring any benefits in terms of cruising speed. On the contrary: If you needed from Prague to Peterswald on Lobositz and Aussig 10 to 12, so it was about Teplitz even 14 to 15 travel hours.
Aussig quickly realized that no path has taken the city out of trouble and that it has come to terms with the new situation. In order to at least alleviate the disadvantage suffered, the magistrate initiated in 1808 steps to establish the connection to the “Kaiserstraße” with the construction of a connecting road to Arbesau.
Interrupted by the war, the road was completed in 1817. Arbesau was next to Teplitz and Peterswald a post office (with horse change), coming from Aussig post had to be stamped here. Since 1830 it was possible to travel from this post office via Königswald and Eulau to Bodenbach and Tetschen.
The year 1850 brought a decisive change in the passenger and postal traffic from Prague to Dresden, the railway Prague – Aussig was added. This marked the departure of the poetic era of the stagecoach. Although travelers in Aussig had to change for a few months from the cozy train compartment to the less friendly stagecoach in order to reach the Saxon capital via Arbesau and Peterswald , in April 1851, after completing the Aussig-Dresden railway line, they could travel by rail Bodenbach much faster and easier than before in the direction of Dresden drive. The road Teplitz-Arbesau- PeterswaldLike over 45 years ago, the salt road lost its paramount status. The sound of the posthorn fell silent.
Aussig, however, had been connected to long-distance traffic with the commissioning of the Prague-Dresden railway line. Thus an important and necessary basis for a rapid growth of the city was laid and at the same time the former snubbing atoned.