At the beginning of the 12th century Böhmischkahn , Deutschkahn , Peterswald , Nollendorf and pulcher mons (= Schönberg), which later became Schoenwald , are called as church towns of the eastern Erzgebirge. Schoenwald was then in the possession of St John, the Vladislav I . – at the request of his brother Heinrich – had given a forest near Olsenice, the later Oelsen. This forest extended to the middle forest Hwojen at Böhmischkahn. The Johanniter favored the German colonization of northern Bohemia.
Around the year 1322, the Wartenberger acquired shares of Johannitergebietes and occupied a few years after the parish foundation of Königswald , Peterswald , Schönwald and Kulm . Later Schönwald belonged to the rule Graupen, which belonged to the gentlemen on Kolditz. Towards the middle of the 15th century, Hans von Kolditz fought for Graupen and Johann the Younger von Wartenberg for disputed territories and indefinite borders. On 2 January 1487 Timo von Kolditz sold the rule Graupen to Ernst von Schönburg on Glauchauin Saxony. After that, the owners of barley changed quite often, until on April 24, 1537 Wenzel von Wartenberg bought the rule, which at that time 24 towns and villages included. Between 1537 and 1545 Electoral Saxon and Royal Bohemian commissions arbitrated border disputes. The clashes also covered a stream at Schönwald, which claimed the Bünau on Lauenstein for themselves. Only the good agreement of Emperor Ferdinand with Moritz of Saxony put an end to the border disputes. The border was then fixed as it still exists today: it ran from there close to the villages Zinnwald , Voitsdorf , Müglitz , Streckenwald, Schönwald and Peterswald , all of which belonged to Bohemia, while Bienhof , Kleppisch and Rosental were defeatedat Meissen in the Land of Saxony.
When Wenzel joined Wartenberg after 1546 of the Emperor’s enemies, he was found guilty of lese majeste and declared his estate in Graupen to be forfeit. The property fell to the King of Bohemia. On January 15, 1580, Emperor Rudolf II sold the villages Schoenwald, Nollendorf and Peterswald along with forest tracks at the Upper Tellnitz and Sernitz for 12,146 shock and 29 groschen to the penny master (paymaster) Tam (Damian) of Sebottendorf , who made his acquisitions to a lordship based in Schönwald.
In the topography of the Leitmeritz circle from the year 1787 – written by the religious priest of the religious schools, Jaroslaus Schaller, the place Schoenwald is described as follows: Schoenwald , a village of 172 numbers, with a castle and Meyerhof, lies in high mountains at the extreme Saxon borders, 14 mile from Prague, 2 miles from Außig, 2½ miles from Teplitz and 4 miles from Dresden. The town flows through a coming from the nearby trout ponds Mühlbach, which drives in the village 11 Mahl- and 3 Brettmühlen. At the lower part of the village, a small stream, falling down from the hills, trickles past, dividing the border between Bohemia and Saxony and soon uniting with the anticipated Mühlbache.
Right behind this border are two Saxon houses grown. Not far away from there is the so-called Spitzberg, from whose summit on sunny days the cities of Pirna and Dresden , the fortress Königstein and other remote areas can easily be excluded. The German farmer seeks his food here mainly in the spinning and a few flax and arable farming, but the rough and impetuous weather as well as the frequent summer frosts because only grain and oats.
This description of the place and its surroundings is followed by another in the 1833 issue of the topography of the Leitmeritz circle by Johann Gottfried Sommer: Schoenwald , on the northwestern slope of the Erzgebirge, flowing in a south-to-northwest, from which go to Saxony Gottleuba Bach Tale and at the southern foot of the Spitzberg is an approximately one hour long, reaching to the Saxon border village of 261 houses with 1657 inhabitants, 5 miles from Leitmeritz , 2½ miles from Teplitz and ½ mile from Peterswald, the next post office, removed. (The place) has a stately castle with the seat of the magisterial office, 1 brewhouse on 24 barrel 4 buckets, 1 distillery, 1 farm and 1 sheep farm; 4 inns, 12 grinding mills, 1 oil and mill mill and 3 board mills. In the donated by Joseph Rudolph Count von Schönfeldt and built in 1706 and endowed spital 7 arms are fed.
Nothing can be said about the age of the local parish church “To the Assumption of the Virgin Mary”, which was rebuilt in 1790 and consecrated in 1795, since the Lutheran pastors took with them all documents and parish registers when emigrating The re-established Catholic pastor did not go beyond the year 1649. From March 30, 1655 to July 4, 1671, the pastoral care of the PP Dominicans was granted to Foreigners, after which time a new pastor was appointed As well as the school under the patronage of the authorities, the parish of this parish, apart from Schoenwald itself, is no other village: the villages of Peterswald , NollendorfandBöhmischkahn , which in former times were eingepfarrt to Schoenwald , have been later separated under its own pastors.
About 1¾ miles northwest of Nollendorf is located on Schönwalder Rustic reasons the basalt existing Spitzberg near the Saxon border, so that its northern foot touches the territory of the Kingdom of Saxony. He is also called the saddle mountain there, because he resembles a saddle from Dresden and its surroundings. The view from this mountain covers not only Dresden and its surroundings along the Elbe to Pillnitz and Koenigstein , but also a part of Upper Lusatia, Silesia and Bohemia.
The stream, which flows through the village of Schönwald and rises about half an hour south of it, takes its course to Saxony, where it receives its name from the town of Gottleuba and pours into the Elbe at Pirna . At the village Schönwald , next to the castle and above this place, there are 6 small ponds filled with trout. The population is all devoted to the Catholic religion and speaks quite Teutsch.
Despite the harsh climate to which the mountain villages are subject, the soil is of such good quality and so easy to cultivate, that, with proper fertilization, it yields sufficient yields of rye, oats and peas. The flax here often reaches a height of almost 2 feet and is of proven quality.