Peterswald in the Erzgebirge Cemetery Commemoration on July 1, 2006
On July 1, 2006, about sixty native Swedes deprived of their homeland, Peter Walder met German mother tongue (including two non-evicted Altpeterswalders) in the cemetery of their hometown and about a dozen of their offspring born offspring. The occasion for this was the inauguration of a memorial “in memory of all deceased German inhabitants of the parish of Peterswald and the victims of all wars”. Home supervisor Liane Jung greeted those present, in particular the Leitmetzer Vicar General Karel Hawelka, who had come to the consecration of the memorial plaque, and Mayor Zdenek Kutina.
The home supervisors Annelies Zechel and Edith Fischer had done very good preliminary work. Ms Fischer, in particular, was concerned with the clergy and gave the whole thing a dignified frame.
Before the blessing, Reverend Hawelka asked the Hildesheim canon Dr. Kara for words of remembrance. “Who does not know where he comes from, can not know where he is going” was the motto of his short speech. For decades we believed that those who had gone before us had lost. The care of their graves was denied us, their graves leveled, their gravestones destroyed. Now we have found her again. “God gives, God takes, we have the thanks” was the meaning of two solemn songs that Hawelka asked Reverend to sing before and after the monument’s consecration. He finished the dedication with praying the “Lord’s Prayer” and “Hail Mary.”
Thereafter, Rudolf Püschel from Kalifomia recalled the history of the Peterswald Cemetery: Created after the founding of AD 1240 around an AD 1352 first mentioned in 1352, the patron of St. Nicholas became the final resting place of the ancestors of the congregation and others for nearly 800 years , The church was destroyed in 1639 during the Thirty Year’s War and rebuilt in 1657 in the same place. This wooden church, often too small for the growing church, was replaced in 1793 by a baroque style building outside the cemetery, reminiscent of the still standing facades and tower. The place of the original church is marked by a 1796 built, today also decay abandoned Baroque cross made of sandstone. Of the pastor of Peterwald, who has been fully known since 1784, the pastor of Alois Skliba, who served the longest in 1832 to 1932, deserves mention. Half a dozen of those present identified themselves as baptized by him. Finally, Mr. Püschel handed over a catechism to the German Heimatgemeinde Peterswald, with whose help he taught other Peterswalder students religion in 1944/45 and 1932, together with Gesang- und Praetbüchem, one of them from 1806, which his brother visited in 1965 during a business trip in the former Czechoslovakia had preserved before the Veremichtung.
Finally, Petrovice / Peterswald Mayor Kutina thanked those present for coming. He emphasized the interest of the local council in the history of the place, especially its 100-year-old school building. The preservation of tradition requires mutual understanding and understanding between German and Czech Peterswaldern. He asked for contributions to a publication on Peterswald and his school and emphasized the intention of the community to carry out various cultural and sporting activities in 2007 on the occasion of the 650th anniversary of Peterswald, to which he also invited the German Peterswalder. These had once brought the place to economic growth through agriculture and industry. Their expulsion not only resulted in the structural disintegration of the village, it also led to a cultural and economic decline. The effort of the church to stop this decay and, if possible, undo it deserves respect.
Dr. Rudolf Püschel